Vegetables are a very important part of our diet. Along with fruits, vegetables provide us the essential nutrients. These nutrients are vital for living a healthy life. Lack of any nutrient can lead to dangerous diseases or health problems. Therefore, it is important to consume fresh vegetables regularly to keep the body healthy. Find out some of the interesting health facts about vegetables.
Vegetables are the great sources of nutrients. They provide us the nutrition that we need for keeping a good health. Vegetables provide vitamins, minerals and plant compounds which are essential for the body. Consuming fresh vegetables everyday can keep the body healthy and disease free. Vegetables are associated with low cholesterol levels, cancer prevention, blood sugar control and weight loss. Read on to explore more interesting health facts about vegetables.
Here are some of the interesting health facts about vegetables:
1. Vegetables are the best sources of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients.
2. Spinach is considered as the healthiest of all vegetables. Spinach is highly rich in vitamins, minerals, carotenoids and flavonoids and this nutrient density makes spinach an outstanding vegetable for the health.
3. Darker green vegetables are excellent source of Vitamin C and they contain much more Vitamin C than lighter green vegetables.
4. Tomatoes are known for the lycopene. Lycopene is a carotene and phytochemical which is responsible for lowering the risk of cancers.
5. For the glutathione (a plant compound) content, asparagus is considered as one of the best vegetables for cancer prevention.
6. Broccoli contains more Vitamin C than orange and it is known as a very effective anti-inflammatory vegetable.
7. Two allium vegetables – garlic & onion provide excellent anti-inflammatory benefits.
8. Green beans or string beans are exceptionally rich in anti-oxidant nutrients like phytochemicals and Vitamin C, and they are considered as one of the most heart friendly vegetables.
9. Vegetables are great natural sources of soluble and insoluble fiber. Soluble fibers are good for lowering the cholesterol and insoluble fibers are beneficial for the gastrointestinal tract.
10. Beetroots are very good source of the unique phytochemical called betalains. Betalains are famous for providing anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant and detoxification benefits.
11. Celery contains plant chemical compounds- phthalides, which are very effective in the reduction of cholesterol levels.
12. Artichoke, broccoli, turnip greens, potatoes and tomatoes are the most fibrous vegetables.
13. Dark green leafy vegetables such as spinach, lettuce, kale etc are the most heart friendly vegetables.
14. Green vegetables can reduce the risk of cancers. Cruciferous vegetables for their outstanding phytochemical contents- are excellent for cancer prevention.
15. Non-starchy vegetables are good for the diabetics. Some of the non-starchy vegetables are including artichoke, beans, broccoli, beets, carrots, cauliflower, celery and leeks.
Those are the some interesting and important health facts about vegetables. In addition, high fiber and low calorie vegetables such as spinach, broccoli, beans and carrots are a part of weighty loss diet. Vegetables are super food and it is necessary for us to know the importance of the vegetables in our health.